- China 87
- Russia 82, and
- Great Britain 65, for London 2012.
- What was the score difference between gold and silver (7 points in men's basketball, 0.12 seconds in men's 100 meter track, 0.100 points in a women's beam gymnastics)
- How strong was the competition (US men's basketball team were NBA professionals)
- How important is the event relative to other events (past modern Olympics included events such as hot air balloon , poodle grooming -- actually this was an April Fools Day joke, and others.)
After looking at the medals from multiple perspectives in the 2010 Winter Olympics, Dr. Saaty settles on 7, 2, 1 for the values assigned to gold, silver and bronze medals respectively.
Applying this for 2012, he arrives at a very interesting observation:
- The U.S. 104 total medals score 409
- China's 87 medals score 342
- Great Britain's 65 medals score 256, and
Today's quality professionals should know how to apply AHP in their projects for better analytic precision, and this includes six sigma black belts and anyone who is involved with prioritization of customer needs and product features in QFD. Case studies using AHP will be presented at the upcoming Symposium.